Friday, May 30, 2008

Back Story

So for those of you who don't know me I thought I would tell you a little bit about me.

I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at 2 months old. I don't really remember a lot having to do with my cf when I was little because I really didn't have that much to do. Sure I had to take pills when I ate but besides that all I took was a flinestone vitamin every morning and night. It wasn't until 3rd grade that I started doing breathing treatments and my mom did CPT (chest physical therapy) twice a day.

My first hospitalization wasn't till I was in middle school. Then when I was a freshmen it became a once a year thing. That was also the same year I got my therapy vest. I was SO happy when I got my vest because that meant I could go places for extended periods of time without my parents because I wasn't dependent on my mom for my daily cpt. It was GREAT!

High school was pretty normal for me as well. I had an amazing group of friends who always looked out for me, dated a few guys and just had a great time. How hard can it be growing up in SWFL where you can go to the beach all year round? I had a blast!

Once out of school I went right to Edison Community college but it didn't take me long to figure out that it was completely different from high school. You mean you don't have to actually go to class?? That was my FIRST big mistake....because not only did I not go to class I didn't study or do any of my work!! I just partied with my friends having a grand ole time....

Then my grades show up in the mail, my parents find out I haven't been going to class and my car gets taken away. Well...all good things eventually come to an end. But the good news is I eventually realized I wanted to go back to school so I went and took a phlebotomy class, listen if you have been poked with a needle as many times as I have you eventually pick up the basic technique and I have to say I was pretty good at it. The teacher usually had me helping other students!! Once I finished the class I kind of re-thought my whole idea and realized as much fun as I was having it wasn't that great of a plan because I really shouldn't be around people who are sick...especially after transplant.

So I decided to take a part time job at the bank my mom worked at. I absolutely love it there and hands down work for the best people ever. Not only do they totally work with my schedule (dr's appts., hospital stays etc.) but they paid for me to go to school and get my associates degree. I just can't wait till after my surgery and I can work full time....that will be so exciting!

In the mix of this whole story I met my now husband on New Years eve 2004 and we are now getting ready to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary June 9th! He is AMAZING...sure he can be a grumpy man just like any guy but boy does he take good care of me. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

Ok well its getting late and I am tired...I will post more later and I will talk more in depth about my road to being on the transplant list.

In the mean time I will post a few wedding photos for you to enjoy....