Sunday, September 11, 2011

Basic Tossed Salad and Milky Way Fudge!

Friday night we had company again. My husbands brother, his wife and kids all came over for dinner and then we watched Bridesmaids (hilarious movie btw!) I had planned on a Mexican themed dinner with Chicken Enchiladas, refried beans and Spanish rice but I was worried that the kids wouldn't like it and to be honest my back has been killing me all week so I really just wanted something easy that I could prepare ahead of time so I wasn't standing in the kitchen while everyone else was hanging out.

So I went with my awesome Baked Ziti (you can find that recipe here!) a basic salad with homemade dressing and for dessert I made Milky Way Fudge...it was SO good and every single one of the kiddos cleaned their plates. That's a WIN in my book!! :)

Basic Tossed Salad W/ Homemade Dressing

Ingredients

  • 2 hearts romaine lettuce
  • 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
  • 1 Kirby cucumber or 1/4 European seedless cucumber, diced
  • 1 small yellow onion or 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
  • 1 /4 cup (a couple of glugs) extra-virgin olive oil,
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons (a couple of splashes) red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Coarse salt and black pepper


Directions

Place salad greens in a salad bowl and top with tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, and carrot. Place oil, vinegar and sugar in a small plastic container. Put the lid on the container and shake dressing until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Pour dressing over salad. Season salad with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.



Milky Way Fudge

Ingredients

1 teaspoon butter
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups (12oz) semisweet chocolate chips
3 Milky Way candy bars (2.05oz each), chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions

Line a 9in square pan with foil and grease the foil with butter; set aside.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine milk, chocolate chips and candy bars. MIcrowave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 15 second intervals, stirring until smooth. Stir in Vanilla. Spread into prepared pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.

Using foil, lift fudge out of pan; cut fudge into 1 inch squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator!




I just have to say that this fudge is AWESOME but very chocolaty and super easy to make!! Danny wants me to try it using snickers next time so I will let you know how that turns out! :)

0 comments: