Friday, August 1, 2008

End of the week

Well, today is Friday and its been a pretty uneventful week. I did end up catching Danny's cold and I felt crappy for a few days but I am feeling better now.

Wednesday, I had to go into work for a couple of hours because my laptop that I use for work wasn't working but now its fine. I also gave the HR department my brand new social security card!

Next week I have to go to my doctor's office and have my port flushed. When I am not on IV abx, my port has to be flushed once a month with some saline and heparin to make sure that it works properly.

I was either 20 or 21 when I FINALLY let my doctors talk me into getting a medi-port and I only did it because there was a new doctor who put it somewhere other than where most doctors put them. Most people have ports placed on there chest and since I was young and lived in FL where bathing suits and tank tops are staple clothing items I refused to get one if it was where people could see them. I am thin and if I were to have a port on my upper chest it would have been obvious to see.

When I went in for my surgery to have my port placed, the doctor had me wear my bra and right where my bra strap went around my chest to clasp in the back (on the side under my left arm) he made a tiny little circle under the strap and thats where he placed my medi-port! When it is not accessed you would never know its there because it is always under a bra or bathing suit plus he used one of the smallest ones they have so even if my shirt is off unless I am laying on my side you can't really see it either unless you knew it was there.

Since I have been going in the hospital a lot more lately I am just glad that I made the decision along time ago to have a medi port. There is no way my veins would be able to handle all the abx I have had to have the last year and half.

I am not sure if once I have my transplant if they are going to take it out or leave it in. I wouldn't mind leaving it in but I guess it all depends on what the doctors want to do. Anyway....I think I am going to go downstairs and make some lunch!!

Have a great day!!

1 comments:

Somer Love said...

Hi My name is Somer I found you through Sara's blog Oceandesert.

I am jealous of your port mine is on my chest and refused to get it for so many years I finally got it when I was 23 my arms were full of clots due to all the piccs and my lil veins could not take them any more. I have named my port my "THIPPLE" for third nipple. It always gets a good laugh.

Have a great day!